Venue: Virtual Meeting. View directions
Contact: Democratic and Electoral Services
Viewing Arrangements for Remote Meetings
View the meeting here: https://bit.ly/2FCERui
The meeting is being broadcast live using Microsoft Teams. We recommend that you install the Microsoft Teams app on your device for the best viewing experience. If viewing via a web browser, please note that this is not possible if using Safari; instead please download the Microsoft Teams app or the Microsoft Edge browser.
Further advice on accessing meetings through Teams, is available here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Attend-a-live-event-in-Teams-a1c7b989-ebb1-4479-b750-c86c9bc98d84
To receive any apologies for absence.
To approve as a correct record the minutes of the Council Meeting held on 9 July 2020.
Declarations of Interest
To receive from Members, declarations of the existence of any disclosable pecuniary, or non-pecuniary, interests and the nature of those interests in relation to any agenda item. Please see Agenda Notes.
(a) Call over (Item 9) will be read out at the meeting and Members invited to reserve the items for discussion.
(b) To approve the recommendations of those reports which have not been reserved for discussion.
Public Question Time (15 Minutes)
The opportunity is given to members of the public to put questions to Cabinet Members or Committee Chairs provided that a question does not relate to:
· Matters which are the subject of current or pending legal proceedings or
· Matters relating to employees or former employees of the Council or comments in respect of individual Council Officers.
If you would like to ask a question at this meeting, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible and by Monday 21 September 2020 at the latest.
Petitions and Deputations (15 Minutes)
A period not exceeding three minutes is allowed for the presentation of a petition or deputation provided that no such petition or deputation is in relation to:
· Matters relating to individual Council Officers, or
· Matters relating to current or pending legal proceedings
If you would like to present a deputation or petition at this meeting, please contact email@example.com as soon as possible and by Monday 21 September 2020 at the latest.
To receive announcements from:
a) The Mayor
b) Leader of the Council
c) Members of the Cabinet
d) Chairs of Committees
e) Head of Paid Service
Members' Question Time
a) Leader and Cabinet Members’ Question Time (30 minutes)
Any member of the Council may ask the Leader of the Council or any Cabinet Member any question without prior notice, upon:
· Any matter relating to the Council’s administration
· Any matter relating to any report of the Cabinet appearing on the Council’s summons
· A matter coming within their portfolio of responsibilities
Only one supplementary question is allowed per question.
c) Questions to Chairs of Meetings (15 Minutes)
ISSUES FOR DECISION BY COUNCIL
Report of the Corporate Director concerning the appointment of members to the Independent Remuneration Panel.
MOTIONS FROM MEMBERS
1. PROPOSED BY COUNCILLOR HILTON
“That this council welcomes the establishment of the City Centre Commission under the chairmanship of the Dean of Gloucester.
2. PROPOSED BY COUNCILLOR D. BROWN
“This council agrees that the cycling infrastructure within the city of Gloucester could be improved to encourage far more journeys to be taken on two wheels.
3. PROPOSED BY COUNCILLOR COOK
“This council awaits, the Government’s white paper on potential Local Government reorganisation in the autumn and maintains an open mind as to the implications for this Council and Gloucester residents.
This Council believes that Local Government reorganisation at this time will deflect attention from the immediate priorities of recovery after the Covid pandemic, and therefore should not be considered further at this stage. Should the status quo not be possible, this Council requests that the reorganisation will include all levels of local representation including Parish/Town Councils and serious consideration is given to the establishment of area committees to ensure equal local representation across all current district areas.
The Council commits to:
- consulting widely with a broad cross-section of Gloucester residents and businesses, and community, faith, sporting and voluntary groups once further information on any local government reorganisation proposals are known
- supporting Council staff through any reorganisation process which may occur in the future
- continuing with Group Leaders briefings and working in a cross-party manner
- ensuring that the focus of this Council shall remain on the delivery of services and post Covid-19 recovery
- discussing any local government reorganisation options with leadership, from the other five districts, the county council, and the Gloucester MP Richard Graham
- Preserving the City’s historic and ancient civic offices of Sheriff and Mayor and the traditions which accompany them.”
4. PROPOSED BY COUNCILLOR HILTON
“This council notes that J Sainsbury PLC has announced the closure of its popular city centre store on Northgate Street.
This council notes that this wonderful supermarket has been serving customers for nearly half a century.
This council agrees that it should do all it can to stop the supermarket’s closure ... view the full agenda text for item 10.
Written questions and answers. Only one supplementary question is allowed per question.