Venue: Civic Suite, North Warehouse, The Docks, Gloucester, GL1 2EP. View directions
Contact: Democratic and Electoral Services
Declarations of Interest
To receive from Members, declarations of the existence of any disclosable pecuniary, or non-pecuniary, interests and the nature of those interests in relation to any agenda item. Please see Agenda Notes.
There were no declarations of interest.
To approve as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on the 6th July 2021.
The minutes of the meeting held on the 6th July 2021 were confirmed and signed by the Chair as a correct record.
Please note that any late material in respect of the applications detailed below will be published as a supplement on the Council’s website in the late afternoon of the day of the meeting.
Late Material had been circulated in respect of agenda item 5 – Kingsway Local Centre (18/00852/FUL).
Application for determination: -
Erection of a new building to provide 22 self contained units of supported living accommodation and associated works, including car and cycle parking and landscaping.
A Committee Site visit for the item took place on the 22nd July 2021 to allow for full consideration of the site.
The Principal Planning Officer presented the report detailing an application for the erection of a new building to provide 22 self-contained units of supported living accommodation and associated works, including car and cycle parking and landscaping. The presentation included the duties on the council in respect of the Equality Act 2010 and also as regards safeguarding under the Children Act 2004, as well as fears in respect of safety as a material consideration.
Councillor Cook, a Ward Member for Kingsway (and leader of the City Council), addressed the committee in opposition to the application.
He objected to the application on the following grounds:
- It was the correct development but was in an unsuitable location;
- The site would be located in a noisy area, which was unbefitting for the residents who would occupy the accommodation;
- The site visit revealed how noisy the area was;
- Only a small amount of outside space would be provided;
- The outdoor space was only protected by a 1.8-metre fence. This would not protect the privacy of potential residents;
- The noise would have a detrimental impact on the quality of life of the residents;
- The size of the building was larger than other buildings in the locality and did not fit within the local area.
A local resident addressed the Committee in opposition to the application.
The local resident objected to the application on the following grounds:
- Proximity to a nearby school and school routes;
- There was a high volume of pupils commuting in the area and the disruption could be harmful to the supported living residents;
- A bus stop had moved since the Traffic Survey Assessment had been undertaken and there was now a bus stop in a location close to the proposed build which would negatively impact the residents and children getting off at the bus stop;
- There was not enough parking in the area;
- Traffic concerns;
- There were numerous shops and premises located nearby that would be affected negatively by the development;
- The development had not been what had been planned for the area;
- The development would add to parking issues in the area;
- There were more suitable locations in Kingsway for the site;
- There would be an increase in anti-social behaviour in the area;
A Development Director for Kitto GroupPLC addressed the Committee in favour of the application, on behalf of the applicant.
The Development Director stated that the application should be granted on the following grounds:
- Whilst the site was initially designated for retail use. It had been left for a considerable amount of time;
- Over 70% of the placements of supported living accommodation such as the one proposed were currently placed in deprived areas and were insufficient. Therefore, the accommodation would help to combat this disparity;
- The ... view the full minutes text for item 22.
To consider a schedule of applications determined under delegated powers during the month of June 2021.
The schedule of applications determined under delegated powers during the month of June 2021 was noted.
RESOLVED that:- the schedule be noted.
Date of next meeting
Tuesday 7th September, 2021 at 6pm in Civic Suite, North Warehouse.
Tuesday, 7th September 2021.