Agenda and minutes

Venue: Civic Suite, North Warehouse, The Docks, Gloucester, GL1 2EP

Contact: Democratic and Electoral Services 

No. Item


Minutes pdf icon PDF 135 KB

To approve as a correct record the minutes of the Special Council Meeting and Ordinary Council Meeting, both held on 13 July 2023.

Additional documents:



Declarations of Interest

To receive from Members, declarations of the existence of any disclosable pecuniary, or non-pecuniary, interests and the nature of those interests in relation to any agenda item. Please see Agenda Notes.



Call Over

(a)       Call over (items 9-11) will be read out at the meeting and Members invited to reserve the items for discussion.


(b)       To approve the recommendations of those reports which have not been reserved for discussion.



Public Question Time (15 Minutes)

The opportunity is given to members of the public to put questions to Cabinet Members or Committee Chairs. Questions mays provided that questions do not contravene the provisions set out Council Procedure Rules 10(2).


To ask a question at this meeting, please submit it to by 12 noon on Friday 15 September 2023 or telephone 01452 396203 for support.



Petitions and Deputations (15 Minutes)

A period not exceeding three minutes is allowed for the presentation of a petition or deputation provided that no such petition or deputation is in relation to:


·            Matters relating to individual Council Officers, or

·            Matters relating to current or pending legal proceedings




To receive announcements from:


a)         The Mayor

b)         Leader of the Council

c)         Members of the Cabinet

d)         Chairs of Committees

e)         Head of Paid Service



Members' Question Time pdf icon PDF 173 KB

a)    Leader and Cabinet Members’ Question Time (45 minutes) 


Any member of the Council may ask the Leader of the Council or any Cabinet Member any question upon: 


·       Any matter relating to the Council’s administration 

·       Any matter relating to any report of the Cabinet appearing on the Council’s summons 

·       A matter coming within their portfolio of responsibilities 


b)    Questions to Chairs of Meetings (15 Minutes) 


Questions and responses will be published at least 24 hours before the meeting. Supplementary questions will be put and answered during the meeting, subject to the relevant time limit.



Statement of Community Involvement pdf icon PDF 130 KB

To consider the report of the Cabinet Member for Planning and Housing Strategy seeking acknowledgement of the responses received to the public consultation on the Statement of Community Involvement (SCI), endorsement of the changes made to the draft SCI as a result of the consultation and adoption of the revised SCI.

Additional documents:



Audit and Governance Committee Annual Report 2022-23 pdf icon PDF 86 KB

To consider the Chair of Audit and Governance Committee’s Annual Report 2022-23.

Additional documents:




Council is asked to note that Councillor Brooker and Councillor Kubaszczyk have replaced Councillor Finnegan and Councillor Williams as Chair and Vice-Chair of the Licensing and Enforcement Committee respectively.



Notices of Motion pdf icon PDF 71 KB



“Great Western Railway is consulting on the future of the ticket office at Gloucester Railway Station with a predicted closure date of June 2024.


In recent years there has been a huge investment in the Railway Station, Transport Hub and the Forum area of the City. This has included:


·       Gloucester Rail Station – £6 million investment from Gfirst LEP and the Government.

·       Gloucester transport hub - £7.5 million investment from Gfirst LEP and the Government.

·       The Forum - £85 million investment from the Reef Group and Gloucester City Council.


Gloucester Railway Station, alongside the Transport Hub and the Forum development are the gateway to our proud City for anyone arriving by public transport. The ticket office at the station is an integral part of that for both visitors and residents and is frequently busy providing customers with far more than just tickets. Losing the ticket office would be detrimental to the visitor and resident experience when accessing or leaving the City by train and therefore detrimental to the wider scheme of improvements in that part of the City.


Whilst acknowledging the limitations of the Council regarding the retention of the ticket office at Gloucester Railway Station, this Council pledges to do all within its power to reverse any decision that may lead to the ticket office’s closure.


Therefore, this Council resolves to:


1.    Write to The Rt Hon Mark Harper MP, Secretary of State for Transport, to express concern about the possible closure of the ticket office at Gloucester Railway Station.

2.    Write to Richard Graham MP for Gloucester to ask for their support to retain the ticket office at Gloucester Train Station.

3.    Write to Laurence Robertson MP for Tewkesbury to ask for their support to retain the ticket office at Gloucester Train Station.

4.    Liaise with Great Western Railway regarding the importance of the ticket office at Gloucester Railway Station and it’s retention.




This Council:


1.    Recognises the valuable work of the many voluntary, community and sporting groups right  around the city;

2.    Takes note that many such groups often have to rely on grant funding through competitive bidding processes to be able to deliver the services, facilities and projects which residents in the city enjoy and which enhance our neighbourhoods; 

3.    Agrees that more could be done to maximise the amount of external grant funding brought into the city through council-led and community-led applications;

4.    Agrees therefore to convene a meeting of the VCS Alliance, Gloucestershire University, Gloucestershire Funders Network, and the Growth Hub to discuss how, in  a system to be devised , we could support the VCS and community groups in this area to be more successful in their applications and  bids for external grant funding.”




“This council notes that the administration has failed to meet the deadline to produce audited accounts for the 2021/22 financial year. 


Council notes that the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities (DLUHC)  ...  view the full agenda text for item 37.